I suggest you ...

Please be more clear about having to pay before downloading

Being upfront about costing money BEFORE they spend a lot of time cutting out space around their image would be really nice. I know you need to eat and all that, but this is just straight up deceptive. Use ads or require an email account like so many other great web apps.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminJacob N (Admin, Clipping Magic) responded  · 

I understand that it’s easy to miss that the service costs money before uploading an image, despite e.g. the “Pricing” link at the top.

That said, it really shouldn’t take “a lot of time” to cut your image – the whole point of the app is that it takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes to get the job done.

Most of the complaints we receive on this topic reference having spent 30+ minutes on an image. That means that either the algorithm completely broke down on that particular image (which certainly happens for a small percentage of images we receive), or the tool is being used incorrectly.

The most common way to abuse the tool is to use the red/green marks as highlighters. This confuses the algorithm to no end, and you basically have to painstakingly paint in the entire foreground, which sucks.

I understand that people want the tool to “just work” without having to spend time/effort figuring out how to use it. And I also realize that the little animations shown the first time you load up an image are all too easily ignored.

We will continue our efforts in making the tool easier to use. In the meantime, please review the tutorials: https://clippingmagic.com/tutorials/basics and the in-app Guided Tour.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spent about 30 minutes fine tuning an image i drew with a pen. and then i cant download??? yeah it should take 2 minutes but can your algorithm find hair edges 2 pixels wide?

• gensou ichida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that's still pretty scummy to not say upfront on the front page that the service costs money, and duping people into thinking the app is free when it really isn't.

at least clarify that on your front page before attempting to defend your poor design choices.

• AdminJacob N (Admin, Clipping Magic) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that it's easy to miss that the service costs money before uploading an image, despite e.g. the "Pricing" link at the top.

That said, it really shouldn't take "a lot of time" to cut your image - the whole point of the app is that it takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes to get the job done.

Most of the complaints we receive on this topic reference having spent 30+ minutes on an image. That means that either the algorithm completely broke down on that particular image (which certainly happens for a small percentage of images we receive), or the tool is being used incorrectly.

The most common way to abuse the tool is to use the red/green marks as highlighters. This confuses the algorithm to no end, and you basically have to painstakingly paint in the entire foreground, which sucks.

I understand that people want miracles and that the tool should "just work" without having to spend even five seconds figuring out *how* to use it. And I also realize that the painstakingly produced little animations shown the first time you load up an image are all too easily ignored.

We will continue our efforts in making the tool easier to use. In the meantime, please review the tutorials: https://clippingmagic.com/tutorials/basics and the in-app Guided Tour.

Feedback and Knowledge Base