I suggest you ...

Please add a PAYGO option

I use this service from time to time. Let me buy X credits and I'll use them as needed. Why forcing me to subscribe, and pay you monthly?

338 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Giacomo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree.
        I will lose more that 300 credit when jumping from standard to light....
        i'm thinking to left this service and never come again.
        i will definitely not give a good feedback around me...
        That is just because of the subscribe system.

• Sri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am surprised that Cedar Lake Ventures/Clipping Magic has yet to offer this option, considering it's right at the top of requested features. I have 28 unused credits and it's likely I am going to use them before my subscription is due, which is in a few days. So, I'm forced to renew and have more unused credits pile up OR cancel my subscription and lose all the credits I paid for in the first place. Not a great business model. Clipping Magic is great but such practices make me question the people who are behind the operation.

• whatever just post my idea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Subscription Plans are a joke. You pay for a month, but you're limited to how many credits you get depending on your plan. And you're not exactly paying for credits because unused credits disappear after your subscription is canceled or plans are switched. I'm wasting my money. I get you need to make money, but the Subscription Plans are bad for regular folks.

I'd like to be able to use a pay-as-you-go option too. I just need a few images here and there, sometimes a few within a month, but then maybe none for 3 or 4 months. A subscription just doesn't work for me as a personal/home user. I don't mind if the effective price per image is a little higher than the effective price per image on a subscription plan -- where I would either end up accumulating far more credits than I'd ever use, or I'd cancel and lose all my credits (in either case making it far more expensive than it looks).

• Keith Daniels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would buy credits as and when I need them but, as a light user wouldnt subscribe to a monthly tariff.

• Joan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used this service for the past year, beginning when it was free. It's not a service I use continuously therefore having credits available when needed seemed a good option. I regret having to cancel my subscription but accumulating credits to a large number is not of use to me. I also regret having to loose all my current credits. Because of the latter, I will no longer be recommending the Cllpping Magic site.

• AdminJacob N (Admin, Clipping Magic) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Linea: "Third party info" is not signing up for spam, it's standard web terms of service - all web analytics is done by third parties, and web analytics are a crucial component to improving the site.

The 3 year thing sounds like the Paypal / Amazon Payments token duration - that's just to not force you to go through re-signup all the time, you can cancel either on our site or on Paypal / Amazon any time - you are certainly not forced to stay subscribed!

• Linea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Some other items that could do with some rethinking concern your policies about using customers' information to send "3rd party info etc" (in other words, forcing us to sign up for spam) & the insistence that once a person signs up, it's pretty much forever in digital years (3 to be exact) & we're powerless to change it. Hard to believe that I can really "cancel anytime" as you say elsewhere. I'm not going to give you my credit card number under these terms!

Offer credit-only one-time payments. Don't force everyone into a subscription.

The fact the pricing isn't mentioned until after you've spent a good amount of time getting an image right is very naughty.

I'm trying to clip for a non-commercial project. I don't do this all the time. I would pay your 2.99 per picture on a pay as you go format. But I am not going to subscribe to a monthly fee. You are losing money. I'll go find another tool.

PSA: subscriptions renew at midnight UTC ("London time" without daylight savings).

So depending on which timezone you're in, that may appear to be "earlier" to you than the date might imply (e.g. right now, midnight May 20th UTC is 5pm May 19th in California)

@Emma: I hear you. Maybe try signing up for the Standard plan (thereby getting 100 credits), then schedule a downgrade to the Light plan? In the first month you'd have 100 credits (timing that to when you have the corresponding need), then you can build up tokens slowly during the non-use period, with the rollover enabling you to have enough for the next burst?

And if a burst is ever larger than normal, you can do either an early renewal, or a one-month upgrade to Standard (upgrade followed by scheduled downgrade) - hopefully this would be rare.

• Emma Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to add an extra view of this issue. Our typical usage would be to do maybe 50-100 1 month then have a break of 2-3 months and do another 50 or so. We have no issue with the actual pricing our problem is simply that we would have to fit our editing into your billing periods or waste a lot of our credits. Although this is a small cost it hurts the customer experience.

To be clear: credits stay valid while you're subscribed. If your subscription ends (either by cancelling immediately, or cancelling at the end of the billing period), then any remaining credits are lost.

• Christina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All well and good, Chris De Laet, IF you can afford £3 a month :( I cannot as many others I am sure can't. I have no credit or visa card :( I am not disputing the great service - but for the poor it is now completely unavailable :(

I said £3 a month as I am UK - unsure of conversion offhand - but it doesn't matter - I cannot afford to pay and have no way of paying :(

My suggestion would be a donation in order to allow the sites use. (Though it would not help me as I only have a bank cash card which cannot be used online. Can't afford a visa or credit card)

My idea would be a free version with basic controls. Background removal - no frills extras.

But other sites are now springing up and they are free to use.

Clipping Magic is great but ONLY if you can afford a subscription :( I would subscribe IF I could.

• Chris De Laet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long do the credits stay valid?
        If they stay indefinitely, you can simply pay $3, cancel your subscription, and use the 15 credits at your leisure.
        I think the "occasional user" thing should probably be clarified on the pricing page, judging by the amount of comments regarding the subscription plan.
        $3... you won't hear me complaining. Thanks for the great service, guys!

We are considering alternative models to subscriptions, but for the time being subscriptions is what we've got.

If you only need to do a few images, you can sign up for the Light plan and then set your subscription to automatically cancel at the end of the billing period: just go to your account page on CedarLakeVentures.com and click cancel on your subscription and you'll get the option of cancelling right away and cancelling at the end of the billing period.

Feedback and Knowledge Base